A.H. Green

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search

Alfred Harold Green was born January 20th, 1897 at St. John, New Brunswick. Mr. Green went to the University of New Brunswick and partially completed a course in civil engineering. Soon afterward he left for southeast Asia and obtained a position as Minister of Mines directly under King Chulalonhorn, Supreme Autocrat of Siam. His job was to assist in developing western technology in the kingdom. He returned home in 1901 and came west with his friend Frederick Parker Burden, BCLS. They visited Mr. Green's brother, Frank Compton Green, Provincial Land Surveyor at Nelson, BC.

At the turn of the century, there was a great demand for surveyed land for orchards together with a demand for mineral claims and timber limits. Mr. Green then received his BC Land Surveyor commission in 1904.

In 1907 he married and raised six children. About 1916 he took over the practice of surveying from his brother Frank and started his own practice under A.H. Green & Co.

Mr. Green surveyed many mineral claims in the Fond du Lac area on Lake Athabasca in Saskatchewan in 1915. Some of his work was in Group 718 in the old Edmonton Dominion Lands District. He signed his plans as a Dominion Land Surveyor working out of the city of Nelson, BC. We assume he did this after taking his field notes back to Nelson for drafting purposes.

I noted that record number 21627 indicated the location of the claim that Mr. Green surveyed. It was situated on what is known as Channel Point on the north shores of Lake Athabasca about twenty miles east of Fond du Lac and bounding the east side of Sucker Bay and being a re-location of the "Dominion" and "Empire" mineral claims. The discovery covered a deposit of pyrites of iron.

Uranium was not of importance at that time. It can be assumed that the Norah mineral claim surveyed as Lot 1 in Group 718 was the first claim to be surveyed in Group 718.

Mr. Green, when times were slow, went into the construction business and did very well. In 1927 he built the Capital Theatre in Nelson and theatres in Rossland and Penticton. He also went into the road construction business and continued building many homes and mansions in various areas, before his death in 1941.

Source: Early Land Surveyors of British Columbia, published by the Corporation of Land Surveyors of The Province of British Columbia and Muskeg, Outcrops and 40 Below by Jack Webb.