C.H. (Marsh) Ney

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search

C.H. "Marsh" Ney was born in Bradford, Ontario, on December 21, 1890, the son of Mathew Henry and Emeline Sophia Ney. He received his primary and secondary education in Aurora, Ontario, and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1916 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Upon graduation, he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps and served two and one-half years overseas. He was demobilized with the rank of flight lieutenant (pilot).

For the next thirty-five years, he was on the staff of the Geodetic Survey of Canada, having been admitted to practice as a Dominion Land Surveyor on March 1, 1918, and as an Ontario Land Surveyor on April 1, 1922. During this interval, he was engaged primarily in geodesy and was awarded an M.B.E. (Civil Division) for war-time work on aerial navigation in polar regions. Surveyors across the Dominion have benefited from the many technical papers which he contributed to the Canadian Institute of Surveying.

One of his notable contributions to surveying in Ontario was the astronomic determination of two critical points for the eventual survey of the Ontario-Manitoba boundary. This work is described in the report of the Ontario-Manitoba Boundary Commission, 1955.

In 1955, he retired from civil service in the position of Assistant Dominion Geodesist and established himself in practice as an Ontario Land Surveyor in Ottawa until 1960.

He was a member of the United Church of Canada and the Civil Service Lodge AF and AM, Scottish Rite.

Mr. Ney passed away on August 5, 1972. In accordance with Mr. Ney's wishes, his ashes were scattered over Ney Harbour in Frobisher Bay.

Source: Hans Hietala, OLS, Association of Ontario Land Surveyors