C.R. (Connie) Petersen
On the occasion of her receiving the 2010 President's Award from Don George
In 1995, the Council of the Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association established the President’s Award. The President’s Award is handed out solely at the discretion of the president of the year. The award recognizes an individual, or individuals, who have, in the opinion of the president, gone above and beyond the call of duty to serve the Association.
It is not awarded every year but I have decided there is a deserving recipient this year. Council assigns committees with plenty of terms of reference each year. Some committee assignments can be pretty straight-forward and get done quickly; some can be a little more complicated and take an extra meeting to get finished.
This year, Council created a new committee – a working group we called it – and said go create something new; something out of the box. In reality, there were no terms of reference – just a mandate to do something different. Now all of us know how much land surveyors like working without a manual of instructions or clear directions. We also know how independent-minded some land surveyors can be.
We needed someone who was going to be able to lead a group of elite people; get them to bring out their best and brightest ideas and turn it into something the whole Association could be proud of.
It was not an easy job but this Alberta Land Surveyor has done just that. It required lots of meetings; lots of back and forth; lots of consensus and analysis.
But when you’re talking about the Association’s flagship program in practice review and the possibility of another in continuing education and trying to combine the best elements of both programs, you want to make sure you’ve got the right person for the job.
I am very pleased to say that we did!
Connie Petersen, as chair of the Continuing Competency Working Group, took all of the different ideas and thoughts for a new program and was able to lead the group into creating something new.
I would like to present Connie Petersen with the 2010 President’s Award for going above and beyond the call of duty for the Association in putting a new program together for us.
Ms. Petersen addressed the luncheon as follows:
I really don’t have any words to say how much I appreciate this award. It has been a challenging year and I had an excellent group of people to work with and, quite frankly, I would share this with all of them. Thank you.
On the occasion of her nomination for vice-president, 2012
- Received Geomatics Engineering degree from University of New Brunswick 1977
- Member of APEGGA since 1981
- Articled to J. Keith Smith, Vince Ziegler and Irwin Maltais
- Received Alberta Land Surveyor commission in 1998
- Employed in the survey industry in Nova Scotia, Alberta, British Columbia and Virginia since 1977
- Member of Lethbridge Home Builders Association executive 2002-2003
- Currently employed by Stewart Weir in Lethbridge
- Served on Legislation Committee 1997-2001; Chairman, 1999-2001
- Served on CPD Subcommittee 1997-1998
- Served on Financial Assistance Ad Hoc Committee 2000-2001
- Served on Registration Committee 2001 to 2008; Chairman, 2005-2006
- ALSA Council, 2008-2010
- Continuing Competency Work Group Chair, 2008-2010
- Recipient of President's Award, 2010
- ALSA Vice-President (2011-2012)