D.A. Ferguson

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search

David (Dave) Allan Ferguson, Saskatoon surveyor and engineer, died after a short illness on December 1, 1975. He was known in his profession and among his friends as a quiet, gentle and friendly man. He was a perfectionist in his work. His love of travel took him and his wife to many parts of the world. A dedicated sports enthusiast, he also loved animals and the beauty of the outdoors. He enjoyed music, and had an unquenchable sense of humor.

Dave was born on August 5, 1922, in Blairmore, Alberta, where he obtained his early education. He graduated from the University of Alberta with a degree of Bachelor of Science in civil engineering in 1945. He joined the staff of the surveying branch of Underwood and McLellan on graduation and became head of the branch in 1952.

Dave received his commission as an Saskatchewan Land Surveyor in 1947, as an Alberta Land Surveyor in 1949 and as a Manitoba Land Surveyor in 1958. He was also a Dominion Land Surveyor, a member of the Association of Professional Engineers of Saskatchewan, and of the Canadian Institute of Surveying. He was a president of the Saskatchewan Land Surveyors' Association and served on their board of examiners.

Some of Dave's survey experiences included:

In charge of the Interprovincial Oil Pipeline from Edmonton to Regina in 1949. He also surveyed the line east of Regina to southern Manitoba.

He surveyed 71 miles of the Trans-Canada Highway between Regina and Manitoba in 1950-1951.

He was involved in many of the surveys in the early stages of the Royal Canadian Air Force base at Cold Lake.

He surveyed the large Grosvenor Park subdivision in Saskatoon in the early 1950s.

Underwood and McLellan was reorganized in 1952 as a limited stock company, known as Underwood, McLellan and Associates Limited. Dave and four other associates took over the firm in 1954. He remained with the firm until 1962 and then worked for the City of Saskatoon in the engineering department for a short time. In 1964, he opened his own office in Saskatoon as a land surveyor and engineer, and continued this practice until his untimely death.

He was a Mason, and was a member of AF & AM No. 16 Saskatchewan Lodge, and of the Saskatchewan Scottish Rite Lodge of Perfection. He was also a member of the Wa Wa Shrine.

Dave was married to the former Mary MacGregor, who survives. He was also survived by a brother, Donald R., of Edmonton, and a brother, Jack H. of Prince Rupert.

Dave's quiet approach to everything was mentioned in a tribute after his death by a friend and colleague, who said that while others blustered, talked and waved their arms about, Dave quickly and quietly put the matter in a few words and resolved it. Another said that one could always count on Dave as a great pal, kind and fair. We join our members and our friends in Saskatchewan in offering sympathy to his widow and family - such men are always truly missed.

W.D. Stretton in the Canadian Surveyor Supplement, June 1976 and Jack Webb in the SLSA Corner Post, Winter 2005