F.J. Heuperman came to Canada from Amsterdam, Holland in 1906. He settled first in Edmonton with his brother L.F. Heuperman. Both brothers took up land surveying and it is believed they worked for Driscoll & Knight and were articled to that company. During this time he attended evening courses taking mathematics and English.
About 1909 he and L.F. Heuperman moved to Calgary and went into partnership with A.P. Patrick. It is assumed he continued his articles with Patrick as he did not get his DLS until March 13th, 1911 and his ALS until May 11th, 1911. The partnership was dissolved in 1912 and he went to work for the Canadian Western Natural Gas Company.
During the period from 1909 until 1912 it is believed they worked on subdivisions in and around Calgary and did township work whenever they could get a contract. One subdivision they did in Calgary is at the end of Nose Hill which is now Thorncliff. Also some sketches show work around Roundhill, Carbon, Kneehill Creek, Cayley, Strathmore and Rosedale. He mentioned one time that he spent sometime up around Cranbrook B.C. surveying timber limits. They also surveyed the first gas line from Bow Island to Calgary, that is how he became interested in and acquainted with the Gas Co.
After joining the Gas Co. he continued his education by home study. He took an engineering course from the International Correspondence School and an accounting course from Alexander Hamilton. He was accepted into the Professional Engineers of Alberta on January 1st, 1931. He also joined the Engineering Institute of Canada and was secretary for the Calgary Branch for a number of years. He was also a member of the Calgary Rotary Club. His hobby was painting and some of his work is in the Glenbow museum. He worked for the Gas Co. until he passed away in 1946 at which time he was general manager.