G.C. (George) Walker
|George Walker, ALS|
ALSA President, 1961
|Known for||Outstanding Service Award (1983), Honorary Life Member, (1989)|
He attended secondary schooling at High Prairie, Alberta and went on to receive a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the University of Alberta in 1950.
On February 14, 1949, he married his first wife Marie Aimee and they had three sons; Robert, Ian and James. He married his second wife, Carole, on November 8, 1972. George and Carole retired to Vancouver Island in 1990 and have lived in Coble Hill, BC since 1996.
George was a proud Canadian Army veteran who fought overseas during World War II. He enlisted at the tender age of 17 with the Canadian Army in Edmonton to the 14th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery, in the fall of 1940 and served overseas from 1941 to 1946. He trained in Petawawa, Ontario, stationed first in London, England and fought in France, Holland, Belgium and Germany.
In 1953 he established the company G.C. Walker, Alberta Land Surveyor in Edmonton. L.R. Newby, ALS joined the firm in 1955 and became an equal partner in Walker & Newby Ltd. In 1966, the company was re-incorporated as Walker, Newby & Associates Ltd. with offices in Calgary and Edmonton, until 1976. Several other corporate and name changes took place ending with Walker Consulting Group Ltd. which was eventually absorbed by Stantec Geomatics Ltd. George was a significant contributor to these corporate successes over the years.
He was a graduate of the Banff short course in surveying as were several of the returned veterans of the Second World War. He articled to A.G. Stewart, ALS from 1951 to 1952 and was registered as Alberta Land Surveyor #172 on June 18, 1952.
George served as an ALSA Council member from 1957 through to 1960. In 1961, he was vice-president and, in 1962, became president of the Association. As past-president, he attended meetings and provided input to the ALSA Committee on the Future.
In April 1983, he was presented with the Association’s Outstanding Service Award and was made an honorary life member in 1989. He was presented with a plaque recognizing 50 years as an ALS on March 26, 2002. George articled 14 students from 1953 to 1978, all of which became active Alberta Land Surveyors. Several of them are still practicing today.
George became a member of the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA) in 1952 and served on APEGGA’s Consulting Practice Committee on two different occasions, and on the Task Force Committee on Engineering Standards for Subdivisions. In 1982, he was presented with a special award from APEGGA for his outstanding contribution to society through his association in housing, urban development and municipal affairs.
He was a very active member of the Housing & Urban Development Association of Canada in Edmonton and served on that organization’s Alberta Council. He was also a member of the Urban Development Institute. In 1983, he was appointed to sit on a panel selected to conduct public hearings, across the province, on maintaining and expanding the Alberta agricultural land base.
George Walker was a visionary with respect to the town of Canmore and created the Canmore Resort Corporation. As its president, he worked with the Alberta Mortgage and Housing Corporation to develop housing, commercial and recreational facilities east of the Trans-Canada Highway in 1986.
While his children were growing, he was actively involved in the then Town of St. Albert, serving as president of the St. Albert Community League. He was a trustee of the St. Albert Protestant Separate School District for three years and served as chairman of this board in 1966. He taught Sunday School and served on the vestry of the Anglican Church in St. Albert. George was connected to politics for much of his life both in Alberta and later in British Columbia.
He is past-president of the Edmonton Calder Progressive Conservative Association. George was of a jovial nature and a character at times, socially and professionally. He was neat dresser for the office and public events but he could also arrive in flashy attire on occasion. His personal and professional success was a result of his management ability of business partners, staff and his pupils and the dedication to his clients over the many years in business.
The community of Walker in South Edmonton, south of Ellerslie Road and east of 66 Street is named after him.
Monroe Kinloch, ALS (Hon. Life) Sourced from ALSA files and Carole Walker