Hugh Pritchard was born in Bawlf, Alberta in 1912. He attended Victoria High School in Edmonton and Edmonton Normal School before graduating from the University of Alberta with a degree in civil engineering in 1948.
He articled to A.G. Stewart in 1950 and 1951 before obtaining his commission as an Alberta Land Surveyor on June 8, 1951. In addition to his ALS commission, Hugh Pritchard held commissions as a Dominion Land Surveyor, Saskatchewan Land Surveyor and Professional Engineer.
Mr. Pritchard articled future land surveyors Jim Clark, Don Grant and Floyd Strochinski.
From 1951 to 1965, he was in private practice doing a wide variety of surveys. In 1965, he joined the federal Department of Mines and Technical Surveys and, in 1967, became an instructor at NAIT for three years. In 1970, he returned to private practice doing municipal engineering and legal surveys with Stewart, Weir and Stewart in Edmonton.
Hugh was a life member of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association having become commissioned as an Alberta Land Surveyor on June 8, 1951. Hugh is one of the last of a special breed of surveyor, dedicated to staying for long periods of time in summer or winter surveying townships in Northern Alberta for settlement by eager homesteaders. His name will be preserved for posterity on the many township plans and other plans of survey of public record in the Land Titles Offices.
Mr. Pritchard passed away in 1985.