J. (John) Van Berkel
From Alberta's Land Surveying History
|John Van Berkel, ALS|
|Known for||father of Steven Van Berkel, ALS|
On the occasion of his nomination for Council, 2006
- Born in Rotterdam, Netherlands, 1948; moved to Edmonton, 1952.
- Began surveying as a youngster with Associated Engineering in 1966 under the guidance of Marlin Sexauer and Ev Carefoot.
- Started working with Coordinate Surveys Ltd. in 1969.
- Graduated from NAIT in 1971 and then went to work full time for Coordinate Surveys Ltd.
- Articled to Lorne Vanderford from 1974 to 1978.
- Received ALS commission in 1978.
- In 1989, Coordinate Surveys Ltd. was acquired by Stanley Associates and employment has continued with them.
- Moved to Calgary in 1995.
- Served on the Coordinate Based Cadastre Committee.
- Served on the Practice Review Board from 1999-2003 including two years as chairman.
- Currently on the ALSA Legislation Ad Hoc Committee and Boundary Panel.