James Herbert Smith
Mr. Smith was born on November 9, 1876, at New Hamburg, Ontario, to William C. Smith and the former Henrietta E. Mollett. He was educated at the Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph; Albert College, Belleville, and graduated from the School of Practical Science of the University of Toronto in 1903.
After serving his term of articles with James L. Morriss, OLS, CB, of Pembroke, he was admitted to practice as an Ontario Land Surveyor. In 1905 he became a Dominion Land Surveyor.
From 1904 to 1923, he practiced as surveyor, engineer and contractor in New Liskeard, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta, and surrounding territory. He was a charter member of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association.
In 1923 he was sent to Colombia, South America, with the Tropical Oil Co., to assist in the development of oil concessions. He remained in South America for nearly fifteen years.
During World War II, Mr. Smith was engaged for over two years on construction work for the Royal Air Force and for the Royal Canadian Air Force at Moncton, New Brunswick and on Prince Edward Island. Later, after assisting the Imperial Oil Ltd. for over two years in Ontario in search of oil and gas, he settled in London, Ontario, and practiced as an Ontario Land Surveyor.
Mrs. Smith was the former Margaret Rowan and there were three daughters, Margaret C., Eleanor R. and Carol L.
Mr. Smith was a member of the Masonic Order, the Church of England and the Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario.
On April 14, 1966, Mr. Smith passed away, in his 90th year. In January of 1963, Mr. J.G. Pierce, OLS, then President of the Association of Ontario Land Surveyors, in writing to him, used the following paragraph:
“Our records show that you have been an Ontario Land Surveyor longer than any other active member and the Association would like to express its appreciation for the contribution you have made to the profession."
Source: A.A. Outram, Association of Ontario Land Surveyors