Lionel Charlesworth was Alberta's first Director of Surveys - a position he held from 1905 to 1915. In 1915, he was appointed Deputy Minister of Alberta Public Works and also served as Deputy Minister of Railways and Telephones until 1921. Until his retirement in 1945, he devoted his life to the highly important work of irrigation in southern Alberta, and was instrumental in establishing the Eastern District in 1935.
Mr. Charlesworth was a charter member of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association and the Association's second president - serving in 1912 and 1913. Mr. Charlesworth also served as president of the Association of Professional Engineers.
He was made an honorary life member of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association in 1946.