L. Brenot

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search

One of the prominent Dominion Land Surveyors and a member of the Canadian Institute of Surveyors, Mr. L. Brenot, died on February 3rd at his home in Ottawa. He was born on August 31st, 1887, and was ill only a few weeks.

Mr. Brenot obtained his DLS commission in 1910 and was in the employment of the Dominion Government from 1911 until his death. His work included the survey of the west boundary of the Peace River Block; outline and subdivision in this same area, and also soldier settlement and land classification surveys in the Peace River district. In recent years, he was attached to the Air Surveys Section of the Topographical Survey.

Clouston Creek, approximately 50 kilometres north of Valleview, was named for Noel Stewart Clouston, as assistant on the survey crew of Mr. Brenot in 1920. Clouston apparently rejoined the party at this creek after recovering from an accident.

Source: Canadian Surveyor, April 1939 and Place Names of Alberta Volume IV Northern Alberta by Merrily K. Aubrey