Louis E. Fontaine died in Quebec on June 20th. Mr. Fontaine was one of the best known members of his profession and had a distinguished career as a surveyor and government official.
Born on October 3rd, 1868, Mr. Fontaine was employed in his younger days on the staff of the House of Commons. In 1887, he was articled to D.C. Morency, PLS, DLS, and was commissioned a PLS in 1891; and in the following year, he received his commission as a Dominion Land Surveyor. In 1911 he was commissioned an Alberta Land Surveyor. For some time he was engaged on surveys in the province of Quebec, and during this period he made exploratory traverses of many of the rivers entering the St. Lawence east of the Saguenay.
In 1893, he was employed on the Alaska boundary and in 1898 as assistant on Dominion Land Surveys. In 1900, he was appointed as chief of party on Dominion Land Surveys, and was engaged in succeeding years on outline surveys and other important work until his appointment as Inspector of Surveys in 1908. His inspectorate was distinguished by careful and accurate examination of the surveys under his control and his fairness both to the government which he represented and to the contractor.
Latterly, he was in charge of the Land Classification Surveys of the Topographical Survey of Canada, and on his retirement had completed over thirty-seven years of government service.
Mr. Fontaine was several times a member of the Council of the Dominion Land Surveyors' Association and was only prevented by failing health from accepting the presidency. In recognition of his life-long interest in that Association, he was made an honorary member in 1930.
Perhaps Mr. Fontaine's most dominant characteristic was the high standard that he set for himself in his professional work and in his duties as a government official, and he lost no opportunity of impressing that high conception of responsibility upon his employees and associates. In personal contacts he was a delightful companion, and exemplified throughout his life the bearing and manner of a gentleman of the old school.
Canadian Surveyor, July 1932