R.O. (Ron) Hall
In 1995, the Council of the Alberta Land Surveyors' Association established the President's Award. The President's Award is handed out solely at the discretion of the President of the year. The award recognizes an individual, or individuals who have, in the opinion of the President, gone above and beyond the call of duty to serve the Association.
This year's recipient has traveled throughout the province and even the country on behalf of the Association. Over a year ago, he approached the Registration Committee, which he chaired at that point, and then Council to suggest that the Association spearhead the idea of reciprocity amongst the four western provinces. Later, this idea of reciprocity expanded to include all of Canada and Ron Hall represented, and continues to represent, our Association at these labour mobility meetings.
When I became your President, I said that labour mobility was an issue I wanted to pursue. In reality, it was Ron who pushed this idea for the Association and challenged many of our basic assumptions.
I want to say thank you to Ron for all of the time, travel, and just plain hard work on behalf of the Association.
On the occasion of his nomination for vice-president, 2007
- Born in Calgary, Alberta.
- Received diploma in Surveying Technology from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) in 1981.
- Received Bachelor of Science degree in Survey Engineering from the University of Calgary in 1987.
- Received Alberta Land Surveyor commission in 1989 under the supervision of Len Leiman, ALS.
- Received P.Eng. designation in 1989.
- Received commission as a Canada Lands Surveyor in 1991.
- Received MBA, with distinction, through the University of Calgary's Haskayne School of Business in 2005
- Began surveying career at Midwest Surveys from 1987 until 1993.
- Joined Focus Corporation and moved to Grande Prairie, Alberta to establish a local office for the company in that region, 1993-2001.
- In 1996, appointed vice-president of Focus' Oil & Gas Surveys Division.
- In 2000, appointed to the position of president and COO of the organization.
- Served on Board of Directors of Focus Corporation since 1995.
- Currently, holds the position of Vice President - Geomatics.
- Involved in many ALSA committees including acting as ALSA’s representative on the development of the Mutual Recognition Labour Mobility Agreement (2001), chairman of the Registration Committee, sitting on Council and serving as vice-president (2007-2008).