Born December 21st, 1857, near where Alford now is, five miles from Brantford, Ontario, and was a son of Daniel Green and his wife, Mary Crawford. His grandfather was Peter Green and his grandmother was Mary John. His ancestors came originally from Green Bay, in Wisconsin, and his mother was a daughter of Peter Crawford, the Indian Missionary, who settled near Caledonia.
His only surviving relatives were Daniel Thomas Green, on R.R.4, Paris, Ont., who assisted with this biography, and Lloyd C. Green, who were nephews, and Edith S. White and Nettie V. Doctor, who were nieces, living in or near Brantford, Ont.
Daniel was educated at the Brantford High School, and by teaching to finance himself, graduated from McGill as B.Sc. in the class of 1880. In November 1882. he passed his preliminary DLS examination, and in May 1884, his final DLS examination. On the January 7th, 1885, when his address was Ottawa, he was appointed an OLS by the DLS road. And finally became an Alberta Land Surveyor.
After his graduation, Sir John A. Macdonald took a deep interest in him, and for a time during the Macdonald regime and while the Marquis of Lansdowne was Governor-General of Canada, he was employed by the Department of the Interior. He is described as versatile, traveller, raconteur, with a splendid command of the English language, and he was a personal friend of the Hon. A.C. Rutherford, who was the first Premier of Alberta.
He married Mary Catharine Plumb, an accomplished lady of Prescott, Onto She died in June, 1935, leaving no children, but two sisters, one Miss E.A. Plumb, then residing in Prescott, and Mrs. C.S. Anderson, then of 68 5th Avenue, Ottawa, widow of the late Rev. Canon Anderson.
In 1886 he was employed as a DLS surveying old trails near Fort Ellice and Moosemin, Manitoba, when his address was Brantford.
In 1887, surveying old trails in the Calgary district, namely, MacLeod to the Blackfoot crossing, along the Bow River.
In 1888 at the same class of work along the Bow River, when his address was Ottawa. In 1891 to May 2nd, 1893, he was assistant surveyor in the Department of Indian Affairs.
In 1896-97, in the Yukon surveying mining claims.
In 1907 he toured Europe for six months.
In 1908 he surveyed mining claims in the Brazeau district west of the Rockies.
When the Calgary-Edmonton Railway was built, he subdivided the site of Rocky Mountain House, and in 1910 he homesteaded three miles south of that village, and carried on surveying.
On November 29th, 1935, as he had lost his wife, he was bidding good-bye to his Rocky Mountain House friends preparatory to entraining for Edmonton and BC for the winter, but dropped dead in the hallway of his hotel.
His remains were taken to Edmonton, where he was buried beside his wife in Edmonton Cemetery, thus ending a varied, busy and colourful life.
Many of his Rocky Mountain House friends accompanied his remains to Edmonton for interment with Masonic honours. He was a member of the Civil Service Lodge AF and AM, Ottawa, also Tocheon Lodge No. 151 AF and AM Rocky Mountain House, Alta. He was an Anglican.
Source: Association of Ontario Land Surveyors Committee on Biography