T.E. (Ted) Rippon
Ted was born in 1920 and lived his younger years on the family farm northeast of Gibbons, Alberta. After completing his high school, he obtained a diploma from the Olds School of Agriculture.
When Canada entered the Second World War, Ted enlisted in the air force and trained as a pilot in southern Alberta, flying the Tiger Moth and the Avro Anson. He was then posted to Winnipeg at the Number 5 Air Observer School, training other pilots. He was disappointed not to have been sent overseas. In 1945, he was discharged with the rank of Warrant Officer 2. Not being sent overseas was, however, a life-changing bonus for Ted as he soon met a pretty Winnipeg girl named Avis who would become his bride.
Upon discharge, Ted remained in Winnipeg where he articled to R.C. McPhillips and Steve Guttormsson for his commission as a Manitoba Land Surveyor. In 1950, Ted and Avis and a young family relocated to the then booming economy of Alberta settling in Edmonton where he continued his surveying career working initially with Don Dawson, ALS and the federal Department of Mines & Technical Surveys and later the provincial Department of Highways from 1950 to 1957.
Ted obtained his ALS commission in 1953 and his DLS in 1955. He was appointed as surveyor to the Northern Alberta Land Titles Office in 1957 where he served until his retirement in 1976.
Ted was a very pragmatic man, always looking for smart, reasonable solutions to often complex problems regarding land transactions and land title issues. He was very conversant with all legislation relating to land and his advice was sought by many. In this regard, he was highly respected, not just by members of the surveying profession for his assistance and advice but also by members of the legal community, land developers and other government departments. Ted was a very likable individual. He never had a bad word to say about anyone and no one had a bad word to say about Ted.
Ted was a dedicated member of the surveying profession serving on Council from 1958 until 1967, as secretary-treasurer from 1959 to 1963 and as president in 1966. He served on the ALSA Board of Examiners from 1959 to 1974, offering his expertise on subjects such as descriptions of land, water boundaries, boundary uncertainties and all aspects of legislation.
Ted was awarded the Alberta Land Surveyors’ Association Outstanding Service Award in 1979 and was made an Honorary Life Member in 1988.
Ted served on the Alberta Planning Board from 1971 until 1988 where again he set out fair and pragmatic solutions to land use planning appeals.
After retirement from the Land Titles Office, Ted moved back to the farm at Gibbons where he and Avis resided until 1988 when they retired to Sidney on Vancouver Island. In 2004, they moved back to Alberta settling in St. Albert where they could enjoy their growing grandchildren. Ted was predeceased by Avis, his wife of 61 years. He is survived by his sons Robert (Patti) and David (Brenda), daughter Sue, seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren as well as his brother Robert.
He passed away October 26, 2012.
G.K. (Ken) Allred, ALS (Hon. Life)