William Earle Robinson was born in Oshawa, Ontario and educated there and at the University of Toronto where he received a degree in civil engineering and also took post-graduate studies in hydraulics and waterworks engineering.
He first came to Alberta during university vacations in 1910 to help survey part of the Brooks Irrigation Project. He returned to the west in 1912, the year he graduated and worked as a Dominion Land Surveyor and with the Canadian Pacific Railway in the Peace River Block and on the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
He obtained his commission as an Alberta Land Surveyor on January 18, 1921.
From 1929 until his retirement in 1953, Mr. Robinson was city waterworks engineer.
He was a member of the United Church, a charter member of the Calgary Lions Club, charter member of the Glencoe Club, honorary life member of the Engineering Institute of Canada and a member of the United Empire Loyalists.
Mr. Robinson passed away in 1962 after a brief illness. He was 72 years old.