W.J. (Walter) Carbis

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search

Walter Carbis grew up in Toronto and graduated from Weston Collegiate Institute in 1955. He commenced his career in surveying as an employee of E.W. Petzold where he worked in the field and as a party chief from 1956 to 1963.

In 1963, Water joined the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) to assist in the survey of the new capital of British Honduras, now Belize, called Belmopan. Walter and a few other Canadians, provided survey expertise and training through the national Surveyor- General’s office in a six-year program involving all aspects of surveying. He also had the opportunity to locate a number of Mayan sites and discovered what was then the largest cave in Central America.

Walter returned to Canada in 1969 and, anxious to complete his articles, joined J.D. Barnes Limited and articled to Bill Fenton. He was commissioned as OLS #1315 in 1972 and continued to work at the firm until 1982.

On April 3, 1984, Walter was commissioned as an Alberta Land Surveyor (#550). B. Kerr, Gunter Hohn and Jovan Misic were Walter's principals from 1980-1984. He returned to Ontario in 1986 and became a retired member of the ALSA in 1998.

He loved surveying and, with roots still in Belize, was instrumental in encouraging some of his Belizean crew to come to Canada to study at Erindale College.

Prior to full retirement in 2002, Walter continued to work as an Ontario Land Surveyor at E.C. Brisco in Chatham and J.K. Young in Brampton.

He passed away after a lengthy illness on September 8, 2008 and is survived by his wife Irma, son Walter Jr. and daughter Melissa and family.

Reprinted in Part from the AOLS Annual Report