William Benjamin Beatty

From Alberta's Land Surveying History
Jump to: navigation, search
W.B. Beatty, DLS, OLS
A Dominion Land Surveyor and an Ontario Land Surveyor
Known for Beatty Lake, north of High Level, is named after him

The great great grandfather of the subject of this sketch was Benjamin Beatty whose wife was Susana Lyons of the town of Benburb, County of Tyrone, Ireland.

Their son John Beatty, born June 18th, 1809, and his wife Martha Wilson were his great grandparents.

John Beatty, his wife and two sons Benjamin and James, came to this country, lived at Ottawa for a while, then moved to Toronto (which was then Little York) and in 1854 moved to Sarnia township, on London Road.

Their son, Benjamin W. Beatty was born June 20th, 1829. He was the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. His eldest son was William Beatty born on August 11th, 1858.

The subject of this sketch was born on the old homestead on September 19, 1892. His mother was Sarah Elizabeth Mitchell, eldest daughter of William Mitchell, another pioneer family of the district having the distinction of being the first white family of this district.

The late W.B. Beatty had two brothers, Stewart A. on the old homestead, and Dr. C. Mitchell Lloyd Beatty of Akron, Ohio, and one sister, Miss Phyllis in business in Detroit.

He was married December 27th, 1916, to Elizabeth Van Horne, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Van Horne of Walkerton, Ont.

He was brought up in the old Methodist faith, but after Church Union, joined the Ryerson United Church in Hamilton. He was a very earnest worker in Masonic circles and was Master of Hiawatha Chapter, Sarnia, in 1932. Also he was a member of St. Symon Preceptory No. 57, the Hugh Murray Lodge in Hamilton. He was very devoted to his world. His only other hobby was golf. He was also an ardent bridge player.

He did much work for both the Dominion and provincial governments. He was on the DLS staff of the late James S. Galletely, DLS, of Oshawa, and with Mr. James Dobie of Thessalon and Mr. Beatty of Pembroke, and Mr. J.W. Pierce, all in Alberta, Manitoba, District of Patricia, and Northern Ontario as late as 1919.

He was employed by the International Nickel Co. at Creighton mine from 1916 to 1919. Then he settled in Hamilton where he was in municipal work until coming to Sarnia as city engineer in 1926.

He was an honour graduate of Toronto University (1913) before he was twenty-one. He was particularly brilliant at school, passing his entrance examinations before he was ten years of age, and his honour matriculation before he was sixteen. He was commissioned as a land surveyor February 11th, 1915.

He died March 10th, 1933, and was buried in Lakeview Cemetery, Sarnia. He was survived by his sad wife and four children, one son and three daughters.

Source: Association of Ontario Land Surveyors